The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday November 25, 2010 at 01:43
Roti
Long Time Member
July 2008
A Clipsal CNI will only support one serial-over-TCPIP connection. If you are using the Wiser and the (semi) integrated CNI that comes with it, then the Wiser occupies that connection.

You can make a direct serial-over-TCPIP connection to a CNI from a Pronto. I believe Qualifi had a module available to do so (but as it was only available to integrators I was not able to see it). If you are not using the Wiser for a web/flash interface, you can (theoretically) use the integrated CNI for this connection. Alternatively, you could use another CNI on the same C-bus network. You can have more than one CNI on a C-Bus network. If you want a number of remotes, you may need multiple CNIs, and will potentially create a lot of traffic on the C-Bus network.

Or, you can run C-Gate (free Java server product from Clipsal) on a PC on your network and connect that to a CNI instead, and then connect to C-Gate using the Pronto(s). C-Gate supports multiple connections from multiple devices and software (including most of the C-Bus programming software itself), acting as a kind of proxy which models the C-Bus network and makes communication with other devices/software more flexible and efficient. C-gate documentation and examples on how to communicate via telnet are available on the Clipsal CIS website.

I wrote a C-bus Pronto module for controlling C-bus via C-Gate a while back which you can look at here www.rohansplace.com/otherdownloads.htm . I just ran C-Gate on a virtual machine on one of my home servers. Unfortunately I moved to another house and there's no C-Bus here so have not done anything since then. If you know the basics of C-bus networks your should be fine to reconfigure.

In summary you can have

Wiser <-> serial-over-TCPIP <-> CNI <-> C-Bus
Single Pronto <-> serial-over-TCPIP <-> CNI <-> C-Bus
Multiple devices/connections <-> TCP/IP <-> C-Gate <-> serial-over-TCPIP <-> CNI <-> C-Bus

Hosting Services by ipHouse