The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday November 7, 2010 at 16:57
BluPhenix
Long Time Member
December 2008
But arent the GC's better, they sure are cheaper for the same thing.

Again, as Lyndel mentioned several times the RFX has only 3 true RS-232 ports. ports 3 and 4 are basically the same port. The RFX can't buffer a thing. True you could buffer on the remote, but would be a lot of work, you would have to make a dynamic buffer that would know what to do, example:

You are on a page with DVD icons, you press a couple of buttons and the remote stars sending those codes. You have a buffer, so all things get done. Then you exit the DVD page, but the buffer still has not finished what it was doing before so it would continue to try to send the data. But by now you're trying to do something different, let's say open the front door ... but your buffer is still trying to operate the DVD. In this case you would need to flush the buffer and insert the open door thing (let's say you do it with a relay) or make an intterupt buffer call to process the door. I never figured ot if it is the extender that signals that it is busy doing something or if it's a TSU that figures it out somehow.

I know the RFX repeats the messages but i don't remember it waiting for confirmation (have to check the coms again tomorrow). To tell the truth I never quite understood why philips chose this way of communication. Sure TCP has some more overhead compared to UDP ... but when you send the same UDP message 3 times ... well it obviously generates more overhead without actually improving the communication. UDP simply was not designed with reliable communication in mind.

Don't get me wrong, if you really want to do it go ahead it's always good when someone does something useful.

But i'm wondering if it is worth to put a new saddle on a dead expensive horse.

Hosting Services by ipHouse