Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Monday November 1, 2010 at 13:38
2Many
Long Time Member
September 2009
Hi sWORD and Barry

I did originally start by using the Telnet socket but encountered many errors. Late last night I discovered the problem.

I am using MCE Controller for control and VMC Controller to get data back from Media Center. The reason for the errors is that they were occasionally trying to share the same socket. A very basic error that I didn't spot until trying out some new commands with MCE Controller. Doh! Problem solved.

I can now go back to the original plan and use Telnet. I did make an effort to avoid using HTTP, especially since I had never ventured down the HTTP route. I can see the benefits of not using HTTP in this scenario, and that's without including my lack of HTTP experience.

I mentioned above that I am using MCE Controller to perform the controlling tasks. The reason is fairly simple, VMC only controls Media Center and only when Media Center has already been launched.

I have expanded MCE Controller's command list to include every key & function of a PC keyboard. Using MCE Controller I have virtually full PC control. I may extend further by including mouse functionality in to my project, but that's for another time.

By the way Barry, I have worked with a couple of people who programmed in Cobol and something named Fortran. They also told me about having to input data by manually punching holes in cards. Where we be in another 40 or 50 years? Just plug me in now!

Last edited by 2Many on November 1, 2010 13:47.
"Home" is where my Pronto is.

Hosting Services by ipHouse