The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Tuesday September 28, 2010 at 10:54
Rolando1948
Long Time Member
January 2008
Finally got down to the bottom of what was happening, and will paste the content of my last email with Mark of gopronto:

Eureka! It's finally working! Mark, I am really, really grateful for your time and effort in helping me. There was some irony to what was acctually occuring, as I will explain in a moment, and apparently since I was half asleep when I did many of the test, I was not fully aware that I was omitting a very simple, not necessarly obvious, but crucial step in not always updating the edited command to the data base. If I recall correctly, in PEP1 when I would type a command in the ASKII or the HEX box, that would be it, that was what was going to downloaded. In PEP2, the input box reflects and retains what I typed and even after closing and reopening the program it is still there, but it has to be updated through the conflct resolution window, as to able to substitute the previous command. I am very sorry to have committed this blunder and of having taken your time, when you might have been helping others. Everything eventually turned out as follows:

1. The Polycom API commands can be written literally as plain alphabetical characters as they are published in the manual.

2. The backslash carriage return (\r), has to end the command in the Philips Pronto setup, but is not requied in HyperTerminal.

3. The backslash line feed (\n), is not necessary, but does not effect the command if included.

4. The RS232 connections only require pins 2,3,and 5, in null modem configuration.

5. The Polycom HDX8000 does not require nor provide RS232 flow control.

6. The Polycom manual and thier tech support, recommeded that while connected and sending RS232 commands through the serial port, that a concurrent telnet IP connection be made through defualt port 23, as to be able to monitor on the telnet console what the RFX9600 extender was acctually sending and what the Polycom was responding. I cannot over emphasize how useful this is in confirming if what is not happenig, is do to communications or to not being able to recognize the command. In my case, at times it was both.

But with all this said, it was not untill your last email, that I went diligently back to perform your instructions, and "boom" eveything started working. This lead me to backtrack and reveal my errors. BTW, the syntax that you provided was acknowleged by the Polycom. I don't know if I will be able to return your favor, but I will definitely try to help others as you have help me.

Thanks again!
Rolan

Hosting Services by ipHouse