The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Wednesday September 15, 2010 at 13:16
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
On September 15, 2010 at 12:41, GreenLantern said...
Okay, I have my new 9600/RFX9400 combo up and running. I ran into a problem with my system page that took some time to figure out, which brings me to my first question: I planted global commands such as Vol (Up/Down) and Lights (Bright/Dim) on the system page. I used the database for these commands. I was able to get my other components to respond (which is another story of which I will get to later) but the "Busy" lights on my extender would not work when trying to use these buttons. After moving my emitter around and placing the extender in different locations, it finally occurred to me that the system page functions were not using the "RF" designation that was placed within my Receiver device. It was using standard IR instead. After looking for a way to change this, I finally used direct links to buttons in my Receiver device instead of using the database and now everything works as intended.

The communication method is set at the device level in PEP v1 just as it is in PENG/PPENG. That being said, the "System" device does not allow for setting the communication method as can be done with the "Home" device and devices that you can create. (Note that when going to the properties for the "System" device there is no "Settings" tab.) As such, any IR codes being executed directly from the "System" device are going to use direct IR. This is why direct IR was being used when dragging your volume IR codes directly from "My Database" to the "System" device. Linking to the same IR codes in another device instead, then resulted in the communication method for that other device being used. So irrespective of whether you are using "My Database" or not in PEP v1, you should always create a dedicated device for each IR codeset. Said device should be used for the sole purpose of storing your IR codes for the given codeset with the communication method set accordingly. You then simply link to those IR codes from the rest of your configuration file.

How is this situation remedied when using V2 since there are no links to buttons? I was just curious.

In PEP v2 the communication method is not set at the device level. The communication method is set to the IR codeset itself via the "Building Blocks\Equipment & Codes" tab.

Per your extender(s)...
I'd suggest performing a forum search. I'd imagine there will be a number of posts that may help you in this regard. I've not had any issues with my extenders per se. That being said, I'm running both of my RFX9400's in Stand Alone Mode versus Network Mode as I have no activities which need to access my home network or the Internet. I find Stand Alone Mode much more reliable as well and am frequently operating the remote up to 60 feet away from the extenders without issue.

Last edited by Lowpro on September 15, 2010 14:56.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse