The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Wednesday September 15, 2010 at 12:41
GreenLantern
Long Time Member
April 2004
Okay, I have my new 9600/RFX9400 combo up and running. I ran into a problem with my system page that took some time to figure out, which brings me to my first question: I planted global commands such as Vol (Up/Down) and Lights (Bright/Dim) on the system page. I used the database for these commands. I was able to get my other components to respond (which is another story of which I will get to later) but the "Busy" lights on my extender would not work when trying to use these buttons. After moving my emitter around and placing the extender in different locations, it finally occurred to me that the system page functions were not using the "wireless" designation that was placed within my Receiver device. It was using standard IR instead. After looking for a way to change this, I finally used direct links to buttons in my Receiver device instead of using the database and now everything works as intended. My question is: How is this situation remedied when using V2 since there are no links to buttons? I was just curious.

Secondly, I am having an issue with operating range between the remote and extender. Originally, I configured the system in network mode and it showed that both the extender and remote were successfully added to the network. Unfortunately, my range was disgustingly short. My extender is located in an adjacent room, through 1 wall, and maybe 20 feet from my primary seating position. It would not respond to any commands unless I got up and walked to within 6-8 feet of the extender. My router is located directly above the extender, 1 floor up. There should be no problems whatsoever with my router's signal being too weak. So, I decided to try the remote in stand-alone mode. This didn't work well either. I actually convinced myself that stand-alone mode only worked when the remote and extender were in direct line of sight to one another. I then moved the extender into the media room where I sit (and obviously where the remote is located) and now everything works well. I did some digging today and confirmed that the remote and extender in stand-alone mode operate in their own "network" space, so a direct line of sight should not be mandatory for them to work together. Are there any tricks/ideas/or flat out fixes to the problems that I am having. I haven't had as much time to troubleshoot as I would like, so it is possible that I have missed an obvious fix to the issue, but I have looked at my XCF up and down and I don't think I missed something in that regard. It should be noted that I have no problems with my wireless signal for my laptops, media server, PS 3, and tablet pc as they all show a very strong signal, even when in my basement where the media room is located.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by GreenLantern on September 16, 2010 00:56.

Hosting Services by ipHouse