Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Saturday August 7, 2010 at 19:01
NorCal AV
Long Time Member
July 2010
Hi G:

Just to clarify. I don't have years of experience programming Systembuilder. I'm in similiar shoes to yours. However, I've been exposed to it off/on for a few years while working for another large Crestron firm. I'm learning it now, as I'm now working for myself.

I can't really comment on the "breaking code" issue that was brought up by several of the guys in this thread. But it wouldn't surprise me that this phenomenon happens. BTW, as standard practice for any programming job, I save a copy of each client's firmware, program, and database files as part of each project's archive. This will not eliminate the possibility of a future "enhancement" from Crestron breaking the code of a previous job that you're updating, but I'm sure it would make getting back to "square one" much easier.

You can accomplish the things you mention in your example scenario with Prodigy. Perhaps much of it within Composer. Just dont be surprised if you're taken out into SystemBuilder from time to time - even for the simple system you mention.

For example, take your scenario. One room with A/V and lighting control. Most likely, you could get it all done in Composer. All lights can dim up to the same level or dim down to the same level. Easy in Composer. But now, let's say the client wants a lighting scene for "Reading" where he wants his sconces on the front wall entirely off, but rear lamps and overheads at 65%. You're in Systembuilder's world now - not Composer. Is this "pushing the limits"? No, it's a very reasonable and realistic request of any lighting control system.

Or as another example, you decide to add a touchpanel in a centralized location. But dont assume that by the end of your programming in Composer that you'll be able to see all the different lighting loads in the house, particularly if the touchpanel's location - although ideal for the client - doesn't have a lighting load part of your system. Can it be easily fixed? In Systembuilder, yes. Is this an "advanced" project? Hardly.

It's just some of the nuances of the program[s] that need to be worked through. And this was the "trial and error" that I was referring to.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the system. This weekend, I've been setting up the lighting control throughout my house. Piece of cake. Only issue I had wasn't even related to programming, but trying to figure out how my contractor wired my multiple 3-way lighting locations. [I think every 3-way location was different!]

I look forward to chatting with you more once you get your system set up. I don't claim to know much about it, but I'm more than willing to share the little I've learned so far with you.

Hosting Services by ipHouse