The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 31 made on Friday August 6, 2010 at 00:42
GerryA51
Long Time Member
April 2008
This one is hitting home in a big way for me. I was up all night Monday night fighting a prodigy system that we pushed too far. We are full line Crestron dealers, but thought we could make this work without too much trouble. We have two programmers on staff, one was on vacation all week, and the other was tied up in other projects, so I took on the system builder fun. The rack had to be on a truck by noon the next day to go out of state.

Long story short, everytime I would rebuild to try and fix some problem, something else would break or lose connection. As I sat there in the wee hours of the morning rebuilding and counting the time untill I could call Crestron tech, I was reading this, and wishing to god I could program in Simpl. I would have gladly scrapped the whole thing and started over.

When I talked to Crestron, they wern't sure why it wasn't working either, and after about two hours on the phone, things just started working. Neither I nor tech support was really sure what the problem was, and at that point didn't care.

I think what 39's point is, and has been repeated from other programmers I have talked to, is this: When something is broken in simple, you fix it and move on to the next thing. When something is broken in system builder, you fix it, recompile, and hope that the problem actually gets fixed, and doesn't break something that was already working. In the end you are limited with what you can provide the client with systembuilder, where as sky's the limit with simple. So go for the win regardless of which processor you are using.

About the only positive I can come up with from my situation is as I was waiting for this thing to compile, I was watching every training video on Crestrons web site, and reading every thing I could come across. I have a really good handle on every other portion of the software other then simpl now!!
Quality over quanity, that's how I make my mistakes....

Hosting Services by ipHouse