The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday June 18, 2010 at 04:43
BluPhenix
Long Time Member
December 2008
As we can see in the trend of touch-screen phones there is usually a need to tell the user that he actually pressed the button in another way than doing it with just different graphics. The phones usually vibrate in the pronto's we can use sounds.

At first I used the beep sound, but I found out that it can be really annoying for the clients when in the middle of a meeting someone does something with the remote. Even at the lowest volume setting it can be annoying. Then I decided to try the feature to add sounds to the buttons, just the standard Touch mono sound that comes with PEP2.

You add the sound to the beginning of an action list and when the button is touched it is played (although with a little delay). One of the limitations I found for this is that the sound is part of the actions. This means if for some reason you need to delay the actions, the sound will play with a delay which is not good.

Playing with this stuff today I noticed something else. As some of you know, sometimes when you press a button nothing happens, sure the animation is there, and so is the beep, but the actions don't get executed (seems it's a bug). In this case If you use the beep, the user thinks all is fine, because he heard the beep as he pressed the button, but he is wrong, nothing really happened. On the other hand if you use the wav sounds it doesn't play and the user knows there is something wrong, and then proceeds to re-press the button.

I wonder if any of you had problems with these things in a project.

IMO the press sounds should work in another way:
- press sound is played when something actually happens (if it's a miss-press it doesn't)
- press sounds should always play at the time of the press (with regards to the previous rule), and not when the actions are executed
- press sounds should not be an action, but like the beep a button sound

Please comment.

Hosting Services by ipHouse