I recently formatted/reinstalled Windows and upgraded to Windows 10.
Today, I went to install my old URC CCP software.
Got that message about needing an account.
It didn't recognize my serial number but gave me an account anyways.
The download of the CCP software from the URC website is not a full application install package.
It's just an installer file and when you run it, it'll start downloading the latest software from URC. So, it's useless without an Internet connection.
Upon completion of the install, I ran an update and it said I already had the latest version (I expected this).
Then, I went through the nightmare of getting all this working under Windows 10.
My last install was Win8.1.
This is what worked for me in Win10:
1) Install URC CCP software.
2) Install Windows Mobile Device center (WDMC). I got mine from the link below as filename "drvupdate-amd64.exe":[Link: support.honeywellaidc.com]
3) Plug in remote to computer and make sure the remote is awake or Windows won't see it.
4) In Device Manager it will show under "Other Devices" as an unknown device.
5) Update driver by navigating to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Remote Control, Inc\Complete Control Program\MX-980\Drivers\Windows 7_Vista
6) Now in Device Manager it should show under "Mobile Devices" as "URC USB Sync MX2".