The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday April 10, 2010 at 21:07
Bob Carruth
Long Time Member
September 2003
I've just gotten my first Blu Ray player. It is a Sony Bravia BDP-S370 attached via HDMI to a Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 LCD TV.

I'd read a couple of bad reviews on the player's handling of DVDs so the first thing I tried was "The Magnificent Seven". I don't know what the problem was with the reviewers since the results (reported by the TV as 1080p) blew me away. Couldn't wait to try my first Blu Ray from Netflix expecting it to be even better. "The Duchess" arrived and was great but I couldn't see any improvement over the upconverted DVD,

To make a direct comparison I went to the Library and was able to find both the Blu Ray and DVD versions of "Gran Torino". (They only had 5 Blu Rays.) I didn't spend too much time watching but about the only difference I could see was a very slight improvement in color saturation of the US Flag on Eastwood's front porch.

Either the upconversion of the player is better than anything I've read about or I've missed something in the setup. I let the player set itself since both units are Sony.

Should there be a great difference between the two?

Anything I should adjust?

FWIW the manuals are here:

[Link: esupport.sony.com]

[Link: esupport.sony.com]

Thanks,

Bob

Hosting Services by ipHouse