The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Wednesday July 8, 2009 at 16:20
kwindrem
Long Time Member
July 2009
On May 19, 2009 at 08:50, fauskar said...
Open the remote and clean the circuit board with some contact clean, specifically the key giving you trouble. Use a magnification glass and look at the contact points making sure they are clean. Lightly clean the touch pad contacts too.

I prefer to use a cleaner that doesn't leave a residue. I've done this treatment to cordless telephones with good results using 90% isopropyl alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol!). I just cleaned the switches on my MX-900 today so I'm not sure how it will last.

The remote opens up the same way most URC remotes do.

This wasn't obvious to me and I couldn't find any posts that described the process. URC Tech Support provided the clue and it turned out to be simple.

The front and back snap together (no screws). I used a knife to slightly separate the silver edge that's part of the front plastic from the back. You'll see silver tabs that lock into slots in the back (black) piece. It was necessary to wedge the sliver and black pieces apart at each tab along one side, then the other. I used toothpicks. There are also tabs top and bottom that also need to be separated (again I used a knife). Be careful not to slice off the tab with the knife or separate the sliver edge too far!

There are screws holding the circuit board to the front plastic piece that need to be removed to access the switch contacts. Be careful of the LED and IR sensor at the top of the unit and also the flexible circuit that connects to the LCD.

I would not attempt this process if the unit is still under warranty since opening the case will void the warranty.

The other option is to have URC do the work. URC told me today they just swap out the remote for a new one. Out of warranty isn't free. Today's price for an MX-900 was $125. You can arrange an advance exchange so you're not without a core piece of your system.

Hosting Services by ipHouse