The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 97 made on Saturday October 29, 2005 at 06:55
John Steffen
Founding Member
August 2001
On 10/23/05 18:35 ET, Lyndel McGee said...
John,

Don't get so upset. For most users, the firmware
is not a problem. In fact, I'm using it myself
with no issues. The problems appear with certain
types of equipment or certain sequences of operations
that one might use.

Well Lyndel...

I decided to take your advice and load the firmware...

But, I ran into exactly the same issue as others have mentioned regarding the failure to recognize the USB port during installation. At that point, the installation fails and, when trying to repeat the process, you get a dialog box saying that it cannot read the firmware version.

After restoring my USB connection through the Window's Device Manager, I decided to stick with the 3.7 version for the time being.

From reading these posts, it looks like the folks reporting this problem are running Windows XP with SP2... Might be worth checking.

I still repeat my original question... Why doesn't Philips pull this firmware upgrade until this is resolved? Widespread loss of a USB device seems more than a small glitch, and many casual users are not going to have the know-how to restore it. At the very least, it would be helpful for Philips to point out the "potential issues" on the download page.

By the way, any idea why they didn't post the details of the firmware upgrade? Seems to be a pretty simple thing to to...

John

Hosting Services by ipHouse