Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday September 23, 1999 at 02:03
Jim Lazarenko
Historic Forum Post
Eric, before you buy the Pioneer, see if you can find the SONY KWP65HD1 65" Rear projection unit. It can be difficult to find in a lot of areas with many dealers having up to a two month waiting list for it. Not only is it full HDTV, but it also has Sony's DRC circuit which doubles the pixels both horizontally and vertically of any regular component or S video signal you give it. In theory this means that your DVD is now outputing 960 lines, and most people watching just the regular signal mistake it for a true HDTV signal

To throw a wrench into the whole HDTV system, I haven't any firm press releases on the Digital copyright issues. HDTV provides for a digital copyright...if the satellite companies (per say) decide to enable it, it means that you won't get a full 1080I HDTV signal sent to your television unless you have a firewire connection on it. With analog hookups such as component, you would get a maximum of 480 lines. None of the companies that I am aware of have the firewire connections built in until next years line is released.

Sets that pick up a terrestrial HDTV signal or have the HDTV DSS decoders built in are not affected, as they receiver the digital signal first hand and have a permanent conection to the tube, it will only affect units where the HDTV is passed along through an output to another input.

The digital copyright is to prevent people from hooking up equipment between the source and the output device to pirate high resolution signals, and it basically works the same way as digital copyright on a Minidisc works (it shuts down if you try to make a true digital copy). However in this case, a signal would still come through, just at 480 lines rather than 1080 lines.

Hosting Services by ipHouse