Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Monday November 29, 1999 at 13:43
Todd J. Derr
Historic Forum Post
Dish network is now offering in 13 cities from 110 (i.e. using a Dish 500) as of noon EST today 11/29. I just added Pittsburgh so I know it's real :) The press release has details and a list of cities. The cities are the same ones that were available before, except now they're "legal" and all available using Dish 500 (as opposed to needing a separate dish). I had heard that Boston was not going to be available, but it is listed in the press release, so hopefully (for Dennis) it is.

[Link: dishnetwork.com]

DirecTV has not yet released a schedule - but in the first press release below they list 7 cities that will go up first: NY, LA, SF, DC, Denver, Detroit, and Miami. These will be available using existing equipment from their 101 satellite. I don't know if they are available now or when?

[Link: directv.com]
[Link: directv.com]

The rules are convoluted but basically what Mark said:

- if you are served by local stations (i.e. in the Grade B contour) then you only have the option to get those stations, not the national feeds. note that some local areas overlap so you can be eligible for more than one city.

- otherwise, you can get the national feeds (east and/or west coast)

The people who are still out of luck are those served by local stations which are not uplinked to satellite. You're not eligible for national feeds, or any local feeds :(

Scott, to answer your question, the order in which they are deploying locals is generally determined by the size of the DMA (Designated Market Area) as determined by Nielsen Media. They have a list at:

[Link: nielsenmedia.com]

Dish and DirecTV simply don't have enough capacity to serve all markets, though Dish has more channel capacity so they should be able to serve more than DTV. One of the sticking points of the satellite bill (that was axed in the final version) was a $1.25B loan program to create a non-profit corporation to serve locals to most/all markets. But, it looks like that will have to wait...

To answer Dennis' last question, there is a forum I frequent at http://www.dbsdish.com/ There are a lot of knowledgeable people there and they cover both Dish and DirecTV.

Hosting Services by ipHouse