Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday January 14, 2000 at 08:29
billy c
Historic Forum Post
Hi dave..THINK i HAVE a SOLUTION..never had a 1000' run but the typical solution to long cable runs are as follows; and better still , will give u a phone number for a hi-end satellite and amplifier mfg who may direct you even better than i, but it sounds like 1), yes ,u do have a voltage problem feeding back to the LNB's which would require an amp to increase/maintain proper voltage, or even better yet, use one of the new design multi-switches 2)i would use nothing less than a 3'dish
to garner-in the input signal, thereby intensifying it so much because of the size of the dish , that u would have next to no signal loss downstream at the receiver....sounds like u have a 2 fold problem, but definitely u need to intensify the signal to the receiver, and maintain the correct voltage back to the dish LNB's...regardless of what anyone says, 18'' dishes are ok for low-end installs, and i believe the ellipticals are 21 or 22'',and are adequate too.But u may have to keep ur elliptical if u dont want to use multiple dishes to aim at different satellites which i believe is the nature of your purpose for using an elliptical dish.Otherwise ALWAYS use a 24'' to 48''dish to gain an optimal IF signal at your receiver or multi-switch, from the dish....we have been doing so for 3 years, along with the newer 'surface mount technology 'multiswitchs which is also available;together the bigger dish and this type of multi-switch will virtually eliminate rainfade , pixelization, and drop outs , because the multi-switch affords you the proper voltage back to the lnb's on the dish as it powers the line with dc voltage,(yes, u need to be able to plug it in ) amplifies the IF satellite signal to compensate for insertion loss to the rcvr , and has excellant thruloss, return loss, isolation , and group delay;again,.thereby eliminating much of the drop-outs dss systems sre known for.....anyway the phone number for Jayco Industries , FtLauderdale , Fla. is 1-800-841-7970...ask for tech support;they'll direct u in the right direction with a 1000'cable run...we use their multi switch #35-tr8ws,2inputs plus 8 outputs, and #35-tr4ws,2 inputs plus 4 outputs, almost exclusively (2 inputs being for the 2 LNB's )...have one at my house , and i dont have any more signal dropouts, or pixelization problems like i used too with my 24'' dish....
good luck billy c

Hosting Services by ipHouse