Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday January 11, 2000 at 14:41
Harlon
Historic Forum Post
I just got off the DirecTV web page where they are announcing a partnership with Samsung to manufacture and market the DirecTV PLUS HDTV receiver. (They're also doing this with Panasonic and other manufacturers.) Also, users on DBSDish.com are reporting that Showtime will begin broadcasting some HDTV shows "where digitally permitted" and will broadcast all their stations in 5.1 channel format. The advent of HDTV satelite broadcasting, the new receivers announced and current receivers are a little confusing to me.

I have a Sony SAT-AD4 receiver. In the menu there is an option to select 16:9 or 4:3 viewing. Will this receiver allow HDTV reception or will I have to purchases another receiver? Does the new HDTV receivers accepts the full 1080 lpi and not my current receiver? Bottom line-What is the difference in what is currently on the market (albeit-on the high end) and what is coming down the road?

When I purchased this receiver I was only interested in the DD 5.1 channel which is here today - and affordable. However, I thought this receiver would give me HDTV although it will be a LONG while before I can afford an HDTV set. (My wife is keeping a sharp eye on me.) :>{

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hosting Services by ipHouse