The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday December 9, 2005 at 20:40
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Well, I have just seen the new D20 HD DirecTV receiver, and it has its problems! These look like minor problems, but they would drive me up a wall.

Guide.

You want the guide? Push Guide. No matter what guide you were looking at before, you will get to choose what filter to use. EVERY TIME. If you always want to watch the guide with all channels, you only have to push Guide twice (it says push SELECT for the second button push, but GUIDE works for the second button push too).

Now, if you want to use the Children’s Program filter, you can’t just set the guide to use that filter, then go in and out of that guide. No, EVERY time you hit guide, you have to scroll down through the list of filters, choose one, and then hit Select. I didn’t try hitting Guide after scrolling down, but it presumably works, too.

Info

When you change channels, a small info banner comes up with the title and channel information. You can set this banner to stay up for two, four or six seconds. Be aware, though, that the time starts after the image appears, so if you are changing into or out of HD, the banner could be up for fifteen seconds. I believe there is no DISPLAY button to turn it off.

Channeling up or down, this little window appears, then goes away after the set time.

Then there is the INFO button. With its problems.

If you hit INFO, you want to leave your finger there, because the damn thing will not go away on its own. I counted about 25 seconds before turning away to call DirecTV, because it was ludicrous that this thing should stay so long.

But if you hit INFO, then channel up or down, the full info banner will stay up and will not go away even after you choose to stay on the channel by not hitting channel up or down again. You will have to hit INFO.

This is very irritating and makes me want to not use this receiver at all. I repeat, it sounds like I am being pretty picky, but if you use one, it will drive you nuts.

Where is that DSS Receiver designer that someone here knows? He has GOT to hear about this! Maybe, what the heck, this could be fixed with a software update!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse