The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Monday December 12, 2005 at 16:32
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Or add another 5x8 switch. Take four outputs of the first switch and feed them to the four satellite inputs of the second switch. This gives you four usable outputs on the first switch and eight on the second, total twelve.

This is cheaper than the above by the cost of four splitters and the connectors.

It's arguable as to whether this will be better or worse, technically, than the splitter solution, but the splitter solution will give you sixteen outputs.

Oh, yeah, I've done this a few times. The first time was when another installer did not properly home run satellite cables; I had to put a 4x8 inside the wall behind a plasma, run two satellite receivers from it, then take four more outputs and run them the rest of the sixty foot run to what would have been the only multiswitch; the signal level is good on everything and we have had no problems in two years of operation.

These multiswitches are the type with local power transformers. I don't think I would use a multi powered by the satellite receivers again. Early on I had a problem with one such if fewer than three receivers were connected to it. Not cool.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse