The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1,487 made on Wednesday March 12, 2008 at 14:16
alebowgm
Long Time Member
March 2005
Just to get all the information for which I have out there, I have an e-mail from someone directly at CHCH-DT ane one from someone with working knowledge of what is going on at CHCH-DT. First, an exert from what was told to me.

[QUOTE]
The Transmitter is a ATSC 2.5kW UHF transmitter and the signal pattern will follow the the same contour as our Analog service.
[/Quote]

Now the e-mail sent from the person with working knowledge (which I just recieved a few hours ago).

[QUOTE]
The actual ERP of a broadcast signal is a function of transmitter power, antenna gain and system losses. I have no reason to expect that anyone has altered the specifications for equipment that were recommended last year. Based on the recommended specifications, an ERP of 30 kW on channel 18 is reasonable. Our RF consultant predicted that with an ERP of 30kW and the antenna type specified, the pattern will be similar to CHCH-TV-0's existing analog "A" contour. The pattern should be generaly omni directional with normal allowances for terrain. It is predicted that there will be a slight flattening of the circular pattern to the SSW since the HD antenna can not be located at the top of the tower (as is the analog antenna) but rather it is hung just below top and off of the side of the tower.
[/Quote]

Maybe Daniel can provide more information, because one says ERP of 30kW, and the other just says 2.5kW UHF transmitter, so maybe there is a difference there?

Also, just to add two things, it does look like CHCH-DT is going to wait till a few days before the must be live, or the day of before they get the signal operational. That was confirmed in both e-mails I recieved.

Moreover, just to clerify the joint tower operation
[QUOTE]
Just to clarify one point in your note. The "tower" exists and has existed for many years and is owned by CanWest. CTS leases ground space and tower space from CanWest for their transmitter building, transmission line and antenna. "Real estate" on the tower for antennas has been pretty much used up. ( 3 TV stations, 1 FM radio, cell phone, microwave etc.) At least the prime space high up is used up. To avoid having to go to a less desirable location on the tower, CTS decided to replace their existing analog antenna with one capable of multi channel use that includes channels 36, 25 and 18. CHCH-TV will share use of this antenna for its HD CH 18. Unfortunately it's possible but not practical to include VHF (i.e channel 11) in a UHF antenna.
[/Quote]

Hosting Services by ipHouse