The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1,437 made on Sunday February 24, 2008 at 23:36
rocket65
Long Time Member
February 2008
Hi I noticed your curiosity with respect to my Mini-State antenna from The Source (formerly under the Radio Shack banner. when it comes to my tv reception so much of it is hit and miss depending upon the time of year and weather conditions.. as I stated before I'm definitely in a fringe area. The reasons that I'm so ecstatic about my Mini-State are that it's so compact and fits easily in my window. it's unidirectional.. and I was able to get a wireless remote for it through the Antennacraft website. Ideally I would experience better reception outdoors. however the constraints of my condo don't allow me this freedom. from what ive read analog stations seem to be able to travel up to 40 miles and digital up to 45 miles reliably and seemingly after this threshold as the distance increases and the signal weakens more miss then hit. of all the digital stations presently available .. CBC HD always comes in reliably. I would say over all spring and summer especially night-time offers me a much greater selection. I was pretty impressed when I was scanning last-summer and ended up with the Rochester and Syracuse stations. One thing that has become very apparent is that VHF digital is much easier to pick up then UHF digital. here are the stations ive have recieved reliably at one time or another so far. WGRZ HD 2-1 WGRZ SD 2-2 (weather) WSTM 3-1 WSTQ 3-2 Tube 3-4 WIVB HD 4-1 CBLT HD 5-1 WKBW HD 7-1 WNGS SD 7-2 WCSN 7-3 WROC 8-1 CFTO HD 9-1 WSYR 9-2 WHEC HD 10-1 WHEC SD 10-2 WXXI HD 21-1 WXXIW 21-2 WXXIC 21-3 WXXITV 21-4 WNLO HD 23-1 WNYB 26-1 WNED HD 43-1 WNED SD 43-2 WNED TH 43-3 CITY HD 57-1 CKXT 66-1. I have found that the air masses play a critical factor seemingly if the sky is cloudless and shrouded by an arctic air mass reception is very minimal and on the flipside if the sky is cloudess and encompassed by a tropical air mass stations are plentiful. There also appears to be a correlation between day and night with reception overall better during the night-time.. or better on an overcast day as opposed to bright sunshine .. perhaps the sun creates intereference. One thing in your favor may be the fact that your elevation and line of sight of Buffalo and Toronto is far more exacting then mine. Kitchener-Waterloo is more in line with Erie Pennsyvania then Buffalo or Toronto. perhaps just for curiosity sake you could hook up a Mini-State place it on your 30 foot mast .. the unit itself comes with a 60 foot cable. however that being said the larger your elements the greater your signal pickup will be. I would never ever call myself an expert in this field .. I impart my information through trial and error and from what ive witnessed from my own situation.
Michael Robert Bennett

Hosting Services by ipHouse