The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 884 made on Sunday November 26, 2006 at 15:16
Weblurker
Long Time Member
August 2004
On November 26, 2006 at 00:16, Daniel Tonks said...
Anyone seen WIVB tonight? Seems to be MIA for me - although
WROC is coming in like a bullet.

Hi Daniel. I was able to receive WIVB Saturday evening, I happened to tune to it a few times. However, I wasn't able to receive NBC or PBS.

Since the unsettled weather moved in about a week ago, I've found that the signal strength of the Buffalo stations has occasionally fallen to 0-12% for sometimes minutes, occasionally hours and in the case of NBC, for days at a time.

FWIW, I'm located at Dufferin and Eglinton and have a Silver Sensor mounted in the attic. I'm running WatchHDTV and using an HDTV Wonder.

I was thinking about starting a thread asking people about their experiences in OTA reception. The idea is to try to establish what might be normal so that someone new to OTA would know what to expect. Or should that be a sub thread within this one?

For example, for the past year I had the Silver Sensor mounted behind a 2nd floor window and had the following experience:

NBC - never
CBS (32-1) - always available at around 65% signal strength (all following percentages refer to signal strength that WatchHDTV reports).
CW (39-1) - never
ABC - always available, 65%-75%.
Fox - not available about 12 hours before rain arrived. Reception outage would last a few hours. When available, 50%-75%.
PBS - almost always available, but like Fox, when a large rain system moved in, it wouldn't be available for a few hours. When available 50%-65%.
CN Tower/local Toronto transmitters (CBC, CITY, CTV) always available at 90+% regardless of the weather.

When CBS and CW switched transmitters, I lost CBS. So I was motivated to move the Silver Sensor into the attic (lots of cable re-routing, a major PITA).

NBC - Available when the weather is clear at 65%-85%, but on almost any cloud cover, signal strength goes to 0-12%.
CBS (39-1) - almost always available 65%-85%. Gone during heavy rain.
CW (32-1) - always available 90%.
ABC - always 65%-85%.
Fox - Still disappears before rain, when available 65%-85%.
PBS - Still disappears occasionally, 50%-65% when available.

Moving the Silver Sensor to the attic meant I could receive NBC when the weather is clear and pretty much restored CBS. However, PBS and Fox did not improve with the extra 8 feet in height.

[Link: goes.noaa.gov]

I've been using the satellite images on that NOAA web page. I've found that the amount of water vapour in the air over Buffalo and Toronto is a pretty good predictor of when the reception of some of the Buffalo channels goes away.

Hosting Services by ipHouse