The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 851 made on Wednesday November 15, 2006 at 02:11
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
Remapping their OTA broadcast to their *cable tv* assignment would be a bad idea, and probably against CRTC guidelines.

For instance, I know my HDTV receiver can only deal with one instance of a virtual channel number at a time: on a really good day I was getting 9-1 from Toronto and 9-1 from Syracuse, but it would only let me tune in whichever one it scanned first. So, with a 4-1 already existing from Buffalo, adding an "improper" 4-1 would be bad. :-)

All of the information on the Ottawa page was compiled by Roger Horner; I just worked on formatting and tweaking.

One reason I don't list "assigned" ATSC channel numbers on the Toronto page is that the assignment is merely a formality: every existing analog television station out there already has one, but until they actually submit an application to the CRTC to use it the number means nothing. And the period between submitting an application and actually going live on the air is measured in *years*, so no point getting hopes up too early! :-)

However, it does makes since to list it on the Ottawa page, since Toronto is a "leading" market and what happens there will eventually start trickling out to other larger cities. But rest assured that you'll have a couple years notice of any new HDTV channels planned for the Toronto area as it is...

Hosting Services by ipHouse