The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 88 made on Sunday February 6, 2005 at 08:57
ontariocraig
Long Time Member
September 2004
The SIR-TS160 is an excellent reciever - however, getting support for the necesarry firmware upgrade in Canada is difficult, so, buyer beware. (I wont repeat the problems here, as it's already been written above in this thread) If you can get one already upgraded then you're OK, I think the minimum f/w revsion needed is 1.0.14

Mine is at 1.0.10 and reboots on WGRZ and WKBW - eventually I think it'll do this on all digital channels as the stations move to implement the copy protection flag. (Thanks Hollywood ....)

I also have a SIR-T151, and the firmware upgrade for that was simply plug it into a PC serial port and apply the upgrade.

Unless you're 100% sure that the unit has been upgraded with the latest firmware, then I would steer clear. Its a shame, because it really is an excellent reciever. Also note that you need a DirectTV access card - even if you dont hook it up to a satellite, you ned the card in the slot, just to get past the menu option that allows you to disable the dish, The card doesnt have to be a valid one, an old P3 card is fine.

On 02/06/05 00:58 ET, hogie said...
I've been able find out more details about SIR-160s:

[Link: erms.samsungusa.com]

I guess it's better to stick newer units that
don't require them to be shipped back to Samsung
for firmware upgrades.

This message was edited by ontariocraig on 02/06/05 09:03 ET.

Hosting Services by ipHouse