Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday April 22, 1999 at 15:02
Greg Orr
Historic Forum Post
I work for tech support at Home Automated Living the makers of the HAL2000. HAL2000 is a very similar product to HomeVoice, in that, we have voice control of X-10, IR, and hardwired Inputs and Output among other things. I've never used the HomeVoice product so I can't answer the question from their perspective, but you can do exactly what you are talking about, voice controlled IR, with HAL2000. It will require the HAL2000 software, of course, as well as an IR device that attaches to your computer that we are compatible with. We are compatible with three IR devices currently. The ADI IR-X card (similar to, if not the same as, HomeVoice’s ISA board), the JDS IR Xpander, and the HomeVision box. These devices cost anywhere from $100 to $500 respectively, some do more than just IR which may justify the higher price. These devices attach to your computer either through an ISA slot or a serial port. You would then learn all of your IR devices into HAL2000 using one of the devices. Then through the use of emitters, or something like a wireless X-10 PowerMid, you can give voice commands through a mic or telephone. These commands will individually control each button (ex. “Power Sony TV”). You may also create Macros that can do as many IR, X-10, and/or other HAL compatible actions as you would like, all with your customized trigger phrase (ex. “Let’s watch a movie”). You can find out more about HAL2000 at our web site www.automatedliving.com, as well as, the IR devices by going to our Interfaces link which will list the three products and have links to their home pages.

Hosting Services by ipHouse