Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday May 28, 1999 at 03:15
Jim Fouch
Historic Forum Post
I suggest that you and anyone interested in X-10 devices get a catalog from Home Automation Systems (www.smarthome.com -- 800/762-7846) and also from Home Controls (www.homecontrols.com -- 800/266-8765) -- there is a lot of overlap in the products that each carries but each firm has a few things the other one does not have.

On pages 22/23 of the HAS catalog there is an excellant comparsion of the various wall switches available.

The the wall recptacles and the appliance modules and the switches for appliances (off/on only) all must contain a mechanical relay as all three make a loud click which some people may find objectionable.

AS to wall dimmer switches, they run in price from $20 to $150 and there is a big difference.

The cheaper ones do not have true rocker action - you press the bottom of the switch for both on and off which my bother you when your standard switches work in the conventional manner.

I think the best switch for the bucks is the SwitchLinc which is $89.95 (page 20 of the HAS catalog) - seems pretty pricey for a switch and it sure adds up if you need very many, but in addition to the true rocker action, it also has fade on/off, preset dim, and a few other features.

The cheapest switches are made by X-10 (www.x10.com) - they are $20.00 but sometimes you can buy 3 for the price of 2 -- btw, X10, at their web site, is always having a sale which is ending soon - well, they either extend the sale a few times or have a new one all the time.

And, as to a X-10 touch screen, see page 27 of the HAS catalog - btw, I have catalog #39 but I was told today that catalog #40 is out so your pages may vary a bit.

And a word about what X-10 is - it is both a protocol for sending digital info over power lines which was developed in England in the late 70's and the name of a company which makes most of the low end devices -- as far as I can tell, most items like the modules that plug into an outlet are made by X-10 (in China) and sold under a number of brand names with some cosmetic diffrences to the plastic case.

There is a lot I don't know about this stuff but I have had some experience and if I can help more I will be happy to.

Thank you for a very valuable web site.

Regards, Jim.

Hosting Services by ipHouse