Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Tuesday September 14, 1999 at 09:20
Roland S
Historic Forum Post
I have too been thinking about this in the past. Just to repeat what you said, basically to be able to activate a macro at any time of the day, but for the lights to begin turning on at 7 pm. This would be an "Out on the town" macro, and not activated daily, but only on occasion.

The first thing I can think of (the second idea is similar) is to use the photocell part of the Hawkeye II to activate the "Out on the town" macro when it gets dark, insead of a set time. You would just need to set the Hawkeye in a window sill before you go out.

The inconvenience part would be that you would either have to remove the batteries or change the house code when you're not using it, or it may still activate it daily. You can't just throw it in a closet because the darkness would activate it.

The second idea is to attach a photocell to the contacts on the PowerFlash unit (approx $39). When it gets dark, the contacts are closed and the Powerflash unit sends a command to activate a macro (i.e. "Out on the town").

Of course, just like the first idea, this macro would not be activated at a set time, but only when it gets dark (which should be fine).

And since the powerflash is a plug in unit, you would just have to remember to plug it in before you go out. And obviously, it would have to be plugged in an outlet near a window (for the photocell to differentiate night from day).

I have not tried it myself. If i decide to pursue this idea, it may be weeks since I don't have a powerflash unit.

But, Simon, if you try it, let me know.

And anyone else, if you have any other ideas, please let us know.

Roland S

Hosting Services by ipHouse