The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Tuesday December 5, 2006 at 00:04
DBrown
Founding Member
February 2002
I've just done the same thing, essentially.

My DirecTV HD PVR receiver has component output going out to my TV's Component1 input. This PVR also processes/records my local OTA channels.
I took the spare Svideo/RedRCA/WhiteRCA outputs from the DirecTV PVR and connected them to the rear similar inputs on the DVD recorder. Best input available to the DVD recorder.
The DVD recoder has component output and HDMI output connected to the TV's Component2 and HDMI input.
My Sony Home Theater 5.1 amp gets Dolby Digital Audio from the TV, DirecTV PVR, and the DVD recorder.

I am NOT passing any video through my Sony receiver. I could take it in composite or Svideo form, but both of those are lesser than the HDMI or component paths directly to the TV. Of course my TV has seperate video inputs for all my sources, so that's why. My TV also has Picture-by-Picture, where it can show any digital source beside any analog source on the screen.

When I'm recording to the DVD recorder something I'm watching on the PVR (recorded or currently playing) I set the Sony to the TV's (source) audio input and listen input the TV is set to. If the TV is set to Component1, then I see and hear what the PVR is playing. If I switch the TV to Component2 or HDMI I can watch whatever is passing through the DVD recorder. Assuming the DVD recorder is recording the input from the PVR, both TV inputs will show the same content. If I enable P-b-P on the TV, I can watch the HDMI (DVD) source on one half and the PVR source on the other half of the screen, with the audio following whichever is in the left window. Windows can be swapped, and the audio then will be with the new source showing on the left of the screen.

I can also let the DVD record what the PVR plays while I watch and hear local TV OTA programming on the TV. The Sony, remaining on the TV's audio input, will play whatever I'm looking at on my TV. If I want to HEAR the PVR or the DVD I can switch the Sony to those inputs, even if I'm WATCHING something else on the TV.

So by seperating my Audio from my video (all audio going to the Sony and all video going straight to the TV) I can watch and hear any combination. Useful to verify that what's being recorded on the DVD has the right audio with it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse