Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Sunday July 31, 2005 at 23:37
bomberjim
September 2001
Well, I guess I'd try Tonto as suggested in paragraph 3. It may work, since it's not concerned with a valid 9200 configuration. Tonto handles all Marantz and Pronto models.

If that doesn't work, there may be a way to upload a ccf from the remote using Windows hyperterminal. The FAQ covers downloading using this program, but I've never tried to upload, and am not sure of what commands to use. Maybe someone else will chime in. In any event, I'd try Tonto first.

When I said the ccf might be corrupted, this has nothing to do with codes. There are things such as embedding buttons on a frame (or something like that, been a long time since I've seen it) that will corrupt a ccf. Happened to me once, had to back off every programming step I took to find it, took forever.

Bottom line, if the ccf is corrupted it would probably be more trouble to find the problem than reprogram. BUT, if Tonto will download the ccf (i.e Tonto doesn't see your ccf as a problem), you could just use Tonto as your programming software instead of TSS. It is a very similar program.

To save a copy of your ccf, just choose "save as" under files in the toolbar and give it a name, standard windows procedure, just like a word processer. Oh yeah, not to be a smart ass, but it's also a good idea to your ccf from the computer to a CDR or floppy disk as well.

EDIT: Concerning your question on design. The "best" design practice is to make code pages. In your DVD device add an extra page (or 2 if required) populated with plain simple buttons just large enough for the appropriate label. Learn all DVD codes to these buttons and then "alias" to these buttons on the regular buttons in your ccf whenever you need these codes. Pages don't need to be pretty, they'll never be seen on the remote except when you learn to the buttons. In fact, "hide" (select "is hidden") these pages using TSS or Tonto. Do this after the learning process, otherwise you won't be able to navigate to them unless you unhide them. Repeat this process for every device you have.

The advantage is you only need to learn each code one time. Makes trouble shooting easier, if a code doesn't work, you know where to find it. If you upgrade gear, just relearn the new codes over the old - minimal time and effort. Finally, if you ever decide to use the RF capabilities of the remote, all you need do is set the appropriate device to RF instead of IR. Other methods would require insuring that all codes you want sent as RF are located in a device set to RF, not the aliases, the actual codes. In other words it would require a lot of reprogramming to reconfigure to RF. Hope this helps.

This message was edited by bomberjim on 08/01/05 00:05 ET.
Jim L

Hosting Services by ipHouse