The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Sunday August 15, 2021 at 11:36
MysteryGuy
Lurking Member
August 2013
I just got my MX-890 order (meant to replace my well loved MX-890).

As it turns out, even though I thought I was getting the 'old' style, I received the new style. So far I've only had a short time to try it out, but overall I'm very disappointed in the new color screen.

> They supposedly made the backlight brighter for the buttons...

It looks to me as though there is more 'shine-through' area on the real buttons, so that seems true.

As far as the color display is concerned, it seems to me that its viewing angle is much worse than my old MX-890.

Looking 'straight on' at the screen seems similar, but already less legible with the blue/white color combo.

Moving on to 'lower' viewing angles (as you might get pointing the remote at the equipment when using the IR capabilities), the contrast gets worse and worse much faster than the old MX-890.

The Red/white button color combo seems to hold up better, but is still worse. (Same for other color combos).

I tried adjusting the brightness on both but could never get the new display anywhere as good at holding up to viewing angle changes.

I did not see a contrast setting anywhere.

I'm not sure how much of this is a result of the old one being aged, but I don't remember the old one ever having this much of a viewing angle issue.

I wonder if the display is better on the last batch of 'old' design ones (or if the screen change was already present on the later original layout ones).

I have some pictures showing my old MX-890 next to the new one, but so far it looks like it won't let me add them to my posts here... (They pasted o.k. but trying to actually post the reponse complained about the size being greater than 65K. Trying to post a single picture that was only 50K didn't work either though)

Hosting Services by ipHouse