The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 134 made on Saturday November 16, 2019 at 15:08
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On November 11, 2019 at 15:35, djy said...
Re. Glaciations.
Nitpick all you like; one has still failed to provide any substantive evidence to support your original assertion.

no you just don't want to accept the overwhelming evidence, but if it makes you feel better believe want you want, the reality is since both of us agree that it is not happening any time soon let's just move on.

Re. The CCC and CCS.
Surely even you can determine the distinct difference between an atmospheric CO2 content of 410ppm and one of 500,000 (whatever) ppm, or has one not read any of my links?

there are several issues

most of your links are garbadge, so no I don't spend too much time on them.
but let me ask you this

1) why does it need to be 500,000 (whatever) ppm before you agree it is an issue, if not who cares about your whatever number? In my opinion the damage I have seen being caused now makes the number we have now as way too high

2) isn't this all about a balancing act? if we produce more CO2 then is being eliminated that first number will keep on growing and getting closer to what ever number even you see as an issue. The only logical thing is to make sure that the number falls in balance.

Re. Missing the point.
My point was deliberately glib. It is you trying to conflate issues.

I'm fully appreciative of the fact that UK Government's "local" net-zero plans will have no discernible "global" effect.

Back in 78 we went to Greece and part of the time was spent in my dads village where with the other kids we would go get an ice cream and walk with it. One day one of the kids looks at me and asked "why do you put the wrapper in your pocket", and so I pointed at the pile of garbage in the corner (blown there by the wind). In life you can acknowledge your part and make the world a better place or you can pretend it is always other people's fault and live in garbage. None of us individually can make a difference, but there are 7,5B of us and if we all do our very small and insignificant part we can do wonders.

You talk of a supposed irony, so how ironic would it be if in "man's" hubris the industrialised process of storing vast quantities of CO2 went awry?’

isn't this the equivalent of thinking throwing a bunch of knifes in the air is smart and then talking about the irony of getting cut while chopping vegetables to anyone that thinks it is dumb.

1) CO2 captured by CCS can be useful (but not in the amounts we are producing it right now, but in the future who knows)

2) CO2 captured by CCS can be stored in an inert form so "went awry" sounds a bit odd if it is saved that way

3) the math does not work in your favour. If the stock pile of one plant " went awry" and got released it will still be the CO2 of one plant. If it is the stock pile of one country that " went awry" and got released it will still be the CO2 of one country. Unless all the CO2 of all the world are stored together the reality is any such scenario will become a "small" local issue. Possibly a real tragedy for the area like Chernobyl but it can't become an extinction level event.
Apples and oranges again. Private investment is not the issue and market price for electricity is what the generators receive from the domestic suppliers not what consumers pay. I pay £0.18 per unit.

I get that and I feel bad it is so high. The question you should be asking yourself is why.

If your utility is buying the wind electricity for .04 what is that other .14 going to?

but that in itself is not fair, not all your electricity comes in at .04 that article that you did not like had the price for a nuclear plant at ~0.10 (if I remember correctly) and so when you use that power 0.10 goes to electricity and 0.08 to the utility. In reality they don't differentiate between the two and send wind to Joe and Nuclear to Tim, it gets averaged out and if (using those numbers) it is 50-50 then it comes out to 0.07 and if it is 2/3 atomic it becomes 0.08 and if it is 2/3 wind it is 0.06.... the more of the cheap 0.04 electricity the better it is for the utility, now if those savings are passed on to you that is a different story.

But even though you don't want to face it wind is your friend not your foe.

i). One cannot compare a domestic solar/battery installation to a national grid.

electricity is electricity, the price of propane or Natural gaz or coal might change depending on quantity but not the price to "buy" natural wind, light or running water. They are either there or not and when they are they are free.

ii). I’ve no reason to doubt GridWatch data. A few good days of renewables production does not mitigate the many times it fails to perform when most required.

is it that it fails to perform or that there is not enough capacity?

iii). One has, once again, totally ignored wind and solar's inherent inefficiency and intermittency. Of the aforementioned 38%, wind and solar's contribution is a typical one-third of total installed capacity.

not sure what's your point the way to fix installed capacity is to install more. Like I said before there was a time when a lot more of my electricity came from Nuclear and thermal. In the very late 80's HQ they decided to change plans and focus on hydro.

iii). One has, once again, totally ignored expert opinion on wind and solar's unsuitability as a primary source of power (also their respective environmental impacts).

NO I reject bozos opinions how many of your "experts" are electrical engineers that have installed wind farms/solar farms?

In a free market, no one in their right mind would ever build a wind or solar farm, as they are, quite simply, not viable.

then why do so many exist, why, like you said very wise investors like Warren Buffet put their money in it? why are there over 20 windfarms in Quebec with HQ buying electricity from most of them (I don't know if they buy from all, but they do buy the power from the one near my home)

It is not energy supply companies’ price gouging, it is wind and solar farm developers, with the assistance of Government largesse.

maybe they are gouging with the 0.04 but that does not explain the other 0.14 if that 0.14 gets halved that would bring you to 0.11, if the 0.4 gets halved that only brings you to 0.16 even if that 0.04 goes down to 0 you are still at 0.14 which is still a lot.

Hosting Services by ipHouse