The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 131 made on Monday November 11, 2019 at 15:35
djy
RC Moderator
August 2001
On November 10, 2019 at 16:20, Anthony said...
unless really necessary I won't bother quoting you (I am guessing this post will be too long to begin with) and will just used your numeration if someone wants to go back to check etc.

Re. Glaciations.
Nitpick all you like; one has still failed to provide any substantive evidence to support your original assertion.

Re. The CCC and CCS.
Surely even you can determine the distinct difference between an atmospheric CO2 content of 410ppm and one of 500,000 (whatever) ppm, or has one not read any of my links?

Re. Missing the point.
My point was deliberately glib. It is you trying to conflate issues.

I'm fully appreciative of the fact that UK Government's "local" net-zero plans will have no discernible "global" effect. I'm also well of the fact that CO2 is an essential global life-giving element. It has, thus, always had "an effect", regardless of industrialisation.

You talk of a supposed irony, so how ironic would it be if in "man's" hubris the industrialised process of storing vast quantities of CO2 went awry?’

Re. Let me try this differently.
Apples and oranges again. Private investment is not the issue and market price for electricity is what the generators receive from the domestic suppliers not what consumers pay. I pay £0.18 per unit.

Re. The Carbon Brief and GridWatch.
I’ve already explained that renewables enjoy a guaranteed market, so it’s not unusual, when weather patterns align, for renewables to outperform fossil fuels.

At the time of writing, demand is 40GW with renewables supplying 38%, Gas 30%, Coal 5% and Nuclear 16%. If, however, demand were to rise, the wind was to drop, clouds were to cover the sun or any combination thereof, one cannot merely turn on more renewables - any change would need to be taken up by non-renewable sources. Furthermore:

i). One cannot compare a domestic solar/battery installation to a national grid.
ii). I’ve no reason to doubt GridWatch data. A few good days of renewables production does not mitigate the many times it fails to perform when most required.
iii). One has, once again, totally ignored wind and solar's inherent inefficiency and intermittency. Of the aforementioned 38%, wind and solar's contribution is a typical one-third of total installed capacity.
iii). One has, once again, totally ignored expert opinion on wind and solar's unsuitability as a primary source of power (also their respective environmental impacts).
iv). One has completely ignored my analysis of third-quarter power generation.
v). One has completely ignored my explanation of why I cannot confirm, or otherwise, The Carbon Brief's analysis.
vi). In light of the above, it appears to be the only person attempting to "spin" anything, is you.

Re. Profiteering.
And once again, even though I’ve provided expert testimony, one has still completely failed to understand the difference between a grid dominated by baseload/dispatchable hydro generation and one dominated by inefficient/intermittent renewables; the latter being imposed upon consumers, as a result of Government legislation, and not by choice.

In a free market, no one in their right mind would ever build a wind or solar farm, as they are, quite simply, not viable. Once the UK Government passed the Climate Change act, however, and the need for carbon-free sources of energy became more of an imperative, solar and wind, in the minds of three of our lesser abled Government ministers (Messrs Miliband, Huhne and Davey), became something of a sellers’ market. They firmly believed oil prices would continue to rise, making renewables appear more affordable, but what they hadn't accounted for was the fracking revolution in the USA completely undermining their plans.

It is not energy supply companies’ price gouging, it is wind and solar farm developers, with the assistance of Government largesse. Only now, some eleven years later, has the present Government acted to stem the unsustainable flow. The prices agreed for that new tranche of wind farms will, though, still be index-linked with constraint payments also remaining available during the inevitable periods of overproduction. In short, energy policy in the UK is a complete mess, as the following article aptly illustrates.

[Link: notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com]

It may also of interest to note that the wind industry in Germany is beginning to suffer the effects of recession.

[Link: notrickszone.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse