The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 113 made on Sunday October 13, 2019 at 15:57
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On October 6, 2019 at 17:20, djy said...

I think there is too much stuff going round and round so I will try and consolidate
1)
Either you are trolling me

you got me, I started coming here 20 (you and I have both been here before 2001 and that is when RC started registration) years ago buying my time just to troll you on global warming. Can we please not start with useless name calling?

2) seasons:

I get your point that (depending on where you live) there is a large discrepancy between summer and winter

i.e. if Anthony is OK with –30 - +30 why have an issue with (for example) –27 - +37 especially when in the distant past it might have been -20-+40 or –40-+20

I just don’t think it works well. The world is built for how things are (aka where when built) not for how things will be. In 2018 [Link: globalnews.ca] there were over 70 dead because of a heat wave in the area, when discussing with a friend at the time he asked if public transit had air conditioning, I said not usually, jus some of the newer busses, which surprised him, so then I asked him if busses there had heaters that would make them comfortable at –30 and the answer was obviously no on his side, why would they when the temp is always +

3) ice age/ cooling

let me make my point clear

a) I am not sure why we are discussing ice ages (or cooling) as far as I know there is no reasonable prediction of it happening any time soon.
b) I don’t want it to get colder the same way that I don’t want it to get warmer.
c) yes cold and ice ages can be destructive but so is warmer and (to use a word that you love) it is easier to adapt to colder.

4) energy

Having the rare privilege of being supplied "dirt cheap" hydro power is clouding one's judgement over consumables derived energy.

a) are you being told that you DJY needs to replace your furnace?
or
b) is it that the electric company needs to produce greener electricity?

If it is a) then I apologies for misunderstanding the situation. If it is b) then the graph is useless * since we are not talking about different ways to heat a home.

my point (assuming b) is that if the electricity comes from coal the electric company has to charge for all the coal that is used and if it is Natural gas then it needs to charge for the gas .... so the electricity becomes expensive * ( let me pout it this way

back in the late 60’s hydro Quebec decided to go Nuclear, the plan was to build 35 Nuclear reactors throughout the province Gentilly-1 came on line in 1970 ( Gentilly-2 came on line a few years later, they started on Gentilly-3 but never finished it). But in the late 70’s there was a change in direction and instead of inexpensive nuclear reactors that cost around 120M each they decided to go with the insane James bay project where the first phase alone cost 13.7B before any electricity could even be used.

If Hydro Quebec had continued with the nuclear direction today our electricity would be much more expensive and I would not be as “privileged” as I am. Green energy plants cost more to build and they are scarier but maintenance and cost of production of electricity tends to be much so the electricity is cheaper to produce.

5) fear, science and me

I don’t know who (and more importantly by how much) they are right. I don’t know of anyone that thinks things are not getting warmer. My point is simple, think of a piece of meat being cooked. The heat is absorbed at first on the outside nearest the heat source and then is propagates deeper and deeper and further and further. I think where I live happens, for right now , to feel the effects more than many other places. It is hard to believe GW won’t create flooding when you can see it with your own eyes, it is hard to believe it won’t mean deaths when you know it has started. I am not asking you to save the people that died in the heat wave I am not asking you to turn back the clock and make sure my friends house is not flooded. I am saying the fears can’t be 100% BS because it is happening hear and it might happen elsewhere next as the whole roast reaches the same temperature. To put it differently unfortunately for where I live we are the canary in the coal mine, and I am pointing out how I we are doing, you can do or believe what you want.

Hosting Services by ipHouse