Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 44 made on Saturday September 7, 2019 at 21:44
davidcasemore
January 2003
On September 7, 2019 at 12:20, tomciara said...
So in a typical household we make financial decisions like, can I afford this new car with my wife’s job maybe phased out next year, and so on.

In climate issues, we think that CO2 may change things but how much has not been determined. Maybe it’s only 5% effect?

Nevertheless, we want to get rid of coal, get rid of nuclear, don’t let people fly, the list goes on and on, with a cost that is so astronomical that all you can say is, well the government has to pay for it. Except that the government is you and me.

Is that logical, or does it require an emotional, or partisan, or just illogical stamp of approval?

These are questions I keep asking, not trying to fan any flames, but all these “reasons” eventually meet reality with a thud.

You are conflating two issues. I'd be happy to discuss, or argue, different ways of mitigating the problem. I'm just not going to waste my time arguing whether the problem exists.

We may have to rely on nuclear power in the near term. If so, it might be prudent to find one design with a proven track record ("Get France on line one").

Get rid of coal? Yes, right now! Use natural gas? Yes, but not if you get it by fracking. Stop flying? No! Just build better planes.

The astronomical cost of all this? You do realize that the renewable energy field is nothing but win, win, win. This sector has the most new, well-paying jobs (and those folks pay income tax).

Instead the Amazon rain forest is being burned down so more methane-farting cows can be raised for Burger King and McDonalds, and so more soy beans can be grown to sell to China ever since "Hurricane Alabama's" trade war.

We actually were on a good track - starting with R. Nixon - with cleaning the environment and making things more energy efficient. Then along comes "Speak Cofeve and Carry a Big Sharpie" to reverse everything from energy savings light bulbs to fuel standard for cars.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten rid of the standards for water usage in toilets yet. It's hard to imagine all of those buckets of KFC going down with a single 1.6 Gallon flush.
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!

Hosting Services by ipHouse