The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday March 2, 2019 at 23:13
Baboontyme
Long Time Member
September 2007
3 TVs (2 of which are identical), 1 Projector, 4 Directv boxes, audio receiver for video switching, and a FireTV on the big screen. There is a possibility that I may be cord cutting in the near future and running 4 fireTVs.

I have been a big proponent in the past of URC and I currently use a maybe ~ 6 year old URC MX-980. It's still pretty sweet but I had to get a new audio receiver and the last time I programmed this thing I think I was on Vista or Win7 and I can't get it to work on Windows 10. Even if I could...it appears the IR database in the CCP software is very dated. And certainly not modern enough to program a smart TV device, let alone my new audio receiver from what I can tell. And as you prob know the URC software is very hard to come by. I don't even remember how I got CCP or learned it and I'm old now and more impatient and not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole again with a new $$$ remote and having to find new software and figure it out. And don't want to pay $$$$$ for a dealer programmed remote that I can't update myself.

So....there has to be some new technology 6+ years later. Bluetooth? I don't know. I have done a tiny bit of research but haven't really dove in yet. Back when I programmed my MX-980, you could change the IR codes on DirecTV receivers and even though I had 4 identical ones, I was controlling them independently via IR. I don't think that's the case any longer. I have 2 newer ones which operate on the same IR frequency which is a pain in the ass. And 2 older ones which I can control individually but I'm sure they'll take a shit soon.

And then the question of the FireTV(s) - if I ditch the Dtv boxes and run 4 FireTVs or 4 Rokus or something - can I control each of those individually with a universal-type remote?

What are my options here?

Thanks in advance if anyone has knowledge to drop.

Hosting Services by ipHouse