The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Saturday July 28, 2018 at 08:20
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
Did you disconnect the coax at the demarc box? If you do that and the hum stops, call the cable company and have them fix their system.

If you want a quick fix, go to the closest car stereo shop and buy a ground loop isolator. The second link in kwkshift's post is just that and you should have at least one in your van, anyway. A company called PAC has them and they even provide a small boost, to make up for losses along the way. Not that 70' is really 'long', but for an unbalanced line, it's pushing the limit without a line driver of some kind.

The need for an isolator (or the more expensive fix of changing the sub circuit's assignment in the breaker panel, so it will be on the same phase) is easy to determine- unplug the cable and if the noise stops, you need one but first, unplug it and connect a test light between the shield of the cable with the shield of the sub's input- if it illuminates, you have a ground loop or leakage. Repeat by connecting to the center lead and input + on the sub.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse