The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Thursday February 25, 2016 at 22:38
simoneales
Select Member
May 2005
The company i work for imports and sells a Chinese made product that is re-branded for sale here like almost every product of it's type on the market.

I have visited several factories and exhibitions in China and i can tell you that i have never seen sweatshop conditions and child labour and all the other things that westerners assume about Chinese production. The working life is certainly different to yours and mine as most Chinese workers travel great distances from their homes to work in the factories located in industrial areas and often live in company housing except during the holiday periods. It's true that the average Chinese worker only gets about $2 per hour, but that $2 is more of a liveable wage than the minimum wage for unskilled workers in the united states (think about that for a minute). While wages are low, so is the cost of living. The biggest issue regarding quality is training staff. Most workers come in from country areas and did not grow up around electronics and such, and their education is not as good, so the training needs to be very thorough. Because the Chinese workers are ambitious as a rule there are a lot that don't return to their jobs after holidays as they have secured other (hopefully better) jobs in the meantime. This means that few factories can maintain a consistent well trained workforce that can produce consistent quality. Those that can, produce the same quality you will find anywhere in the world. In my industry (Tubular motors) even the biggest well known European brands still have the majority of their products made in China. Some even outright lie about where they are made, claiming that products that are Chinese are actually made in Spain, Italy, Germany or France.
I guarantee I'll tell you the truth and I guarantee I'll tell you what you need to know but I can't guarantee that I'll be telling you anything you want to hear.

Hosting Services by ipHouse