Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 61 made on Monday September 28, 2015 at 17:57
FP Crazy
June 2003
On September 28, 2015 at 11:51, Fins said...
John, Im curious, did you take a look at the article that I linked?

Yes I did. One can have a notion of metaphysical without believing in an ultimate higher power. If you were to believe in an eternal soul or universal energy or that your internal energy coalesces into some other being after your physical body dies, it doesn't have to be constant with a belief in a higher power. The two have nothing to do with each other.

The idea that it is ingrained in our DNA is a bit simplistic, which the article tries to admit. If I could go back in time and show a bic lighter to paleo man, or even further and visit an Austriopalithicus (sp.) primate, they would probably think me a god. Simple beings tend to deify things they don't understand. Once the religion virus caught on, it did become ingrained in our DNA and societal tendencies.

Someday we will hopefully evolve beyond these myths and eradicate the virus. I am thankful that we as a species, also tend to propel science (religion be damned)...Otherwise we might still think the world flat and the universe revolves around the earth.

As Tom likes to quote P. Simon on "people believing what they want to believe and disregard the rest". We know that science is the opposite of that. Continuing to question and challenge. Religion rarely does that. If it regularly did, it would undermine the entire foundation from which it is built.

Religion will have to pick up the pace on its own evolution, keep changing as technology evolves exponentially, or it will be left in the dust. Millenials are defecting from any religious belief faster than any previous generation. Science and technology are rapidly supplying the answers that previously people would mystically attempt to explain with religion.

I could go and on but I know people with blind faith will be dismissive of any rational argument...and that's ok. My life isn't validated by their approval nor theirs by mine.
Chasing Ernie's post count, one useless post at a time.

Hosting Services by ipHouse