The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Tuesday January 6, 2015 at 17:39
OBICO
Advanced Member
April 2014
     "Will we switch to DTV down the road if this comes into affect(?), I am unsure of that answer. Corus Entertainment will make that decision when and if necessary."

This is an answer I received from an unnamed source at Corus regarding CHEX-2 Oshawa as to whether they would either upgrade to digital or sign off terrestrial completely.

The only Buffalo station I could see willing to sell back their license to the FCC in the incentive auction is Media General's WNLO-DT 32.  WBNF-CD 15 would probably like to now that it's owned by a hedge fund.

Canada is looking for a minimum clearance of 42 MHz - 7 UHF channels (45-51)  to a maximum of 144 MHz or 24 UHF channels (27-51).  A spectrum of 2 -26 isn't enough for the numerous transmitters and various location in Southern Ontario.  I.C. says it wants to negotiate a new treaty with the U.S. so it can protect enough spectrum for Canadian stations.

The NAB says that Canada has an unfair portion of protected allotments.  Table A of the existing U.S. and Canadian Post-Transition Allotment Plan – Canada has 1,552 channel allotments designated for its TV operations. Of those 1,552 protected allotments, only about 550 represented operating TV stations; approximately 1,140 of the 1,552 entries (about 75%) are for channels in the UHF portion of the TV spectrum, and only 285 of these entries were assigned to operating stations. "The post-transition allotment plans and the vacant allotments contained therein provide a useful starting point for the Commission to begin negotiations."

Keep in mind that U.S. stations can't be forced to VHF, leaving that band for Canadian stations.

Reminder: January 26, 2015 is the deadline to submit comments.

Respondents are requested to provide their comments in electronic format (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF) to the following email address: [email protected].
Written submissions should be addressed to the Senior Director, Spectrum Licensing and Auction Operations, Industry Canada, 235 Queen Street, Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0H5.
All submissions should cite the Canada Gazette, Part 1, the publication date, the title and the notice reference number (SLPB-005-14). Parties should submit their comments no later than January 26, 2015 to ensure consideration. Soon after the close of the comment period, all comments received will be posted on Industry Canada's Spectrum Management and Telecommunications website at [Link: ic.gc.ca].

Last edited by OBICO on December 14, 2015 16:53.

Hosting Services by ipHouse