The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday November 27, 2014 at 12:32
DrGrafix
Long Time Member
July 2010
On November 26, 2014 at 23:03, 3FG said...
Well, I would set it up for TV  using the built in search function or manually with setup code 0178 (Press Setup until 2 blinks, Press TV, Enter 0178.  The remote should blink twice).

Then, assuming you want to get the same functionality as the HDMI button on the OEM remote, either
A) Copy the HDMI signal from the OEM remote to the OARUSB04G
  1.  Press Learn until 2 blinks (in upper right corner of the remote)
  2.  Press TV
  3.  Press e.g. TV Input (lower right corner)
  4.  Place OEM remote nose to nose with OARUSB04G about 1-2 inches apart.
  5.  Press the HDMI button on the OEM remote.
  6.  Press Learn until 2 blinks to exit learning mode, assuming you have no other functions to learn

OR

B)
  1. Press Setup until 2 blinks
  2. Press TV
  3. Enter 994  (should get 2 blinks)
  4. Press Setup  (don't hold it)
  5. Enter the EFC 00174
  6. Press e.g. TV Input
You should get 2 blinks.  If you don't, the remote may have come with old firmware.  Go to Simpleset.com, and click on Restore Remote, follow the instructions, and then try the above procedure again.

If instead you'd like to be able to select any of HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3 with a single press of a dedicated button, follow the above 994 procedure using EFCs
HDMI1 00193
HDMI2 00191
HDMI3 00195
You might for example assign these to the colored buttons.
A major resource is post #84 in the Vizio discretes thread.
If you want to do more extensive programming consider installing RMIR.

Of course, if this isn't clear, ask again.

Seems that the remote had old firmware so I followed your advice, went to the Simpleset web page and I _think_ its updated but I'm not 100% sure. There doesn't seem to be a utility to check the firmware or if it was loaded properly. I use a Mac, so I connected the cable to my Mac, DL the file, then opened it in finder, clicked on the "Settings.bin" file as instructed, and a "settings.bin.cpgz" file appeared. I clicked on that... and it said archiving then the cpgz file was gone. So I clicked the bin file and it reappeared.

Maybe you guys can explain how I know that the remote has been updated.

As far as how I'd _like_ it to work? Here's a quick synopsis:

Power Button - Obviously turn on the TV only... don't need to turn cable box on/off, but I'd like it to power up on HDMI3 which is the Comcast cable box source. Its most normally watched.

Switch to Chromecast/HDMI1 - I'd be fine with using a button like "DVD" as the trigger to switch to HDMI1, and at that point you have to use the iPhone/iPad to "cast" whatever it is your sending (i.e. HBOGO).

I did try a simple "dry" run and using the 994 code, saw that the Power switch worked, Volume and other normal controls worked fine including the TV Input, but you had to scroll through all the available selections before getting to the HDMI1 option. Maybe you can explain the exact sequence of assigning a button to a specific HDMI port. Perhaps I should use the "TV" button for HDMI3, then simply pressing either "STB" or "DVD" will jump it to the HDMI1 without seeing the Vizio source menu?

Don't expect an answer today LOL... Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and thanks so much for trying trying to help me out.

Mike
If God Wanted Us To Watch TV 24/7 He'd Have Given Us Rabbit Ears

Hosting Services by ipHouse