The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Saturday December 28, 2013 at 12:41
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On December 1, 2013 at 23:57, Daniel Tonks said...
The Harmony is good for consumers, but be aware that Harmony does things the way Harmony wants to - so if you don't like that, customizing it to behave like you want is either impossible, or will take way more time and effort than the entire initial programming process.

...and you will then be hogtied to Harmony's idea of customer service.

On December 11, 2013 at 16:51, agdodge4x4 said...
No one needs a professional to program a freakin' remote. OK, maybe some do.

Says the guy who, what, has never programmed a remote?

The only difference between a pro and an end user for ProControl is the fact that an end user cannot get software.

That's not at all true in most cases. Most people simply do not want to understand their systems deeply enough to come anywhere near programming a remote, and that's before the software issue even comes up!

Kudos to you for wanting to do it yourself, but your opinion does not define the market. Also, you say you want all functionality of the original remotes on your remote -- are you going to put the ANGLE command where you can get to it right away? Or put all the surround modes onto the remote? With surround modes, if you're not looking at the receiver, as you would with the factory remote, you can't tell what mode you're in. The alternative is to locate discrete codes for all seventy-four surround modes and make separate buttons for each one. THAT INSTALLER, whom you claim is no different from you, has already worked out how to handle this.

I opted to go with a URC remote. Their product is built beefier, their software is available, and I don't have to rely on some 'dude' that may or may not be installing AV equipment when it comes time for me to upgrade my equipment or that will try to double dip me for programming costs.

I agree with the installer who says that making a programming change is NOT double-dipping. If it were, then when it's time to get a new DVD player, you'd get it for free... isn't paying for a new one also double-dipping on the part of Best Buy?

I'm grateful to the posts here that pointed me to the URC remote and program. It IS a little bit complex, but in reality, it's not.

??

It's pretty simple and laid out pretty well. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to make my remote an 'all in one remote', and I am currently building macros and test statements to make it do what I want. Its taken about 4 hours to get a reasonable handle on the software. I still have a few things that I don't quite understand, but this site has pointed me in the right direction and freed me from being tethered to anyone but myself for my media area. Its awesome!

It is indeed awesome. Best of luck.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse