The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday October 28, 2013 at 12:52
weresquid
Lurking Member
October 2013
Hello all and sorry if this is not in the correct thread. I'm Erica, an electrical engineering major at the University of Louisville for my Bachelor's degree. Currently I'm in a senior level design class in which we work in teams to design, build, test, and document an electrical, electronic, or electro-mechanical device or system, subject to realistic constraints.

Our sponsor for our project is a paraplegic with ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) and also my professor's daughter. She uses a computer device called a Tobii to type and communicate with her eyes, as well as controlling her entertainment equipment via a Tira-2 embedded in the machine (Windows 7 based). Anything we roll out for our project is going to be released as open source.

The issue that we are encountering is that the Tira-2 seems to be having issues capturing the IR codes for her Uverse remote control (S10-S3) and STB. I've tried using a Python program ([Link: pixelbeat.org]) written for Linux to capture some IR codes with an external Tira-2 we purchased, as I have issues using EventGhost and Girder. It seems that this software will only capture portions of the IR code, or sometimes the full code. When I try to retransmit the signal the STB does not respond to the commands.

My questions are as follows:
1.) Are there known issues with the IR code protocol the Uverse remotes use? From what I've read, the protocol is the Phillips RC-MM, but I haven't verified this.
2.) Is the issue in software or hardware? It seems that it could be a timing issue, so maybe some modifications to software can fix the issue and successfully capture IR codes. Hardware might be a little more tricky, as the Tira-2 is embedded in the Tobii PC, but that can be discovered for a future exploration of this project.
3.) Is there any way we could then use the signal from the Uverse remote via the Tira-2 to control her STB from her Tobii PC? She has to be able to control whatever we program with her eyes, so it has to use the Tira-2 embedded in her specialized computer.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. It seems difficult to find any information on the Uverse remote's functionality (hardware-wise) on the internet. For instance, I've opened the Uverse remote and I can't seem to find the datasheet for the chip inside. They love locking those sorts of things down. :P

Hosting Services by ipHouse