The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Thursday October 3, 2013 at 02:17
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 16, 2013 at 17:28, kcorona said...
I have speakers in zone 2 and a denon avr-2311ci. Sonance speakers are hooked up to the zone 2. Even when zone 2 is turned off on the denon, when the volume on the wall control for the speaker is turned up, it hums slightly.

Define hum. Most of us think of hum in electronics as a constant tone of only one frequency. If I hum a tune, then I present changing frequencies in rhythm (all right, just close to in rhythm).

Does the hum come from the volume control or from the speakers? I mean, put your ears near both -- which is humming?

Do you know why that is? In order to shut it off I have to turn down the volume on the wall controls in each room.

Depends on the type of hum.

If it's a constant single tone, then that's likely 60 Hz hum which
a) should be present when Zone 2 is turned on, but you might not be able to hear it then if the music is louder than the hum; and
b) should disappear when you turn the volume down then, too.

This one is not likely to be your problem, but I'm just mentioning it: If it's basically music but only the lowest tones of it, that could happen if Zone 2 was on and playing LOUD but the speaker volume controls were turned all the way down. It would come from the volume control itself. This is cured by turning down the Zone 2 volume at the receiver.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse