The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Tuesday August 28, 2012 at 19:01
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On August 28, 2012 at 16:59, TwistedMelon said...
Talking about Horses and Cars isn't really the same thing at all.

Everyone always says this but it really is. Its meant to illustrate the fact that new technology totally changes the way we do things and how everyone eventually adapts no matter how much they whined about wanting to keep what they had. Horses were great but everyone drives a car now.

This topic is about Apples and Oranges. And the last time I checked, one had not replaced the other.

Haptic feedback is a step backwards where control manufacturers are trying to give us a hard button experience with a touchpanel. They should be focusing on improving the touch experience because no one will care about buttons in the future. Hand held remotes with hard buttons and touchpanels are apples and oranges until you try and make a touchpanel have buttons that you can feel. This brings us back to apples-to-apples.

Channel guide? Do those still exist? Who uses them today? Now if you had mentioned surfing their Netflix queue or digital library, then we're cooking.

Anyone with cable or satellite TV service or fm/xm radio. A large portion of the population.

Surfing channels means actually changing the channel on the TV - that's going to annoy anyone else in the room.

Are you saying that you never change channels when watching TV? To clarify here we are still talking about cable and satellite as in 5 minutes of the news...oooh my show is on...lets flip over to the olympics for a second...channel up channel up channel up thru the HBO channels...Guide...lets see whats on next...nothing on...now we can watch our recorded show.

Tablet and on-screen control are old news. What's new is the tablet as a general-purpose device and that's strictly because of the iPad. It still makes for a poor TV/Theater remote control however, except as a gimmick. At the end of the day people care about (and should care about) content, not playing with their remotes.

Content is worthless without a control device. How do you start your playlist without being able to see/select it via tablet or monitor?

The less pressing or interacting with the controls, the better off you are.

I think you may be at the wrong website. We provide control of everything in the home including audio video from a single remote or tablet or traditional touchpanel. How exactly are you better off without having control of things?

When I see most screen-based systems I just look at complex navigation and steps that are essentially pretty, but so very manual. A simple and single button press to accomplish what might be 5 swipes and 10 presses at the end of the day will be a lot more satisfying.

Please illustrate any source that can be controlled with a simple single button press. Obviously you can have your source startup macros select a playlist or send the play command for a disc but what if you want to play a different playlist? Or create a new playlist on the fly? How do you do that with 1 button?

That iPad can still be kept around for plenty of other purposes. Replacing older proprietary screens with iPads and custom software definitely makes sense - and has been happening since its introduction.

The iPad (and other tablets) is not only being kept around its becoming the primary HID allover the world. Touch devices like tablets are not going anywhere.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse