The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Tuesday August 28, 2012 at 16:59
TwistedMelon
Long Time Member
December 2004
Talking about Horses and Cars isn't really the same thing at all.

This topic is about Apples and Oranges. And the last time I checked, one had not replaced the other.

On July 31, 2012 at 21:02, 39 Cent Stamp said...
What they are not thinking about is the fact that we can now navigate the guide for cable or satellite on the tablet. So now the crazy family member who likes to surf channels all night can do so without annoying the hell out of everyone else.

Channel guide? Do those still exist? Who uses them today? Now if you had mentioned surfing their Netflix queue or digital library, then we're cooking.

Surfing channels means actually changing the channel on the TV - that's going to annoy anyone else in the room.

More and more features will be added to the tablet...and not just for cable tv. The |entire home will be accessible via lutron apps and thermostat web servers.

Tablet and on-screen control are old news. What's new is the tablet as a general-purpose device and that's strictly because of the iPad. It still makes for a poor TV/Theater remote control however, except as a gimmick. At the end of the day people care about (and should care about) content, not playing with their remotes. The less pressing or interacting with the controls, the better off you are.

When I see most screen-based systems I just look at complex navigation and steps that are essentially pretty, but so very manual. A simple and single button press to accomplish what might be 5 swipes and 10 presses at the end of the day will be a lot more satisfying.

That iPad can still be kept around for plenty of other purposes. Replacing older proprietary screens with iPads and custom software definitely makes sense - and has been happening since its introduction.
https://TwistedMelon.com - Mira & Manta IR - Remote Control Your Apps

Hosting Services by ipHouse