Thank you for your response. I have a few questions and comments, obviously. In no particular order:
1. What do you mean by logitech and pronto hex? Is this expensive or difficult?
2. If I make my own cable, it appears to use a serial db25. Do I need this connection or can it use a serial db9 instead?
3. Currently a universal ge remote is operating the basic functions, including the dvd and vcr. But the special buttons are not there. Does this help at all? In terms of availability or identifying the right system.
4. If you find the right code, is it possible to replicate EVERY button somewhere on the replacement remote? You appear to be saying that you found the codes for the TV and DVD. Does this mean all the buttons will work, even the unique ones?
5. How can you find the right code? There are THOUSANDS! Is it a reasonable likelihood to find every rare code if you have the cable and software?
6. Is there a workaround to get the function of some buttons with no remote at all? It seems the TV buttons are lacking and what if the remote is not available?
7. There is a website that sells a ready-made "clone" remote that they claim is a direct substitute for the original. It is about $40. That's almost as much as I paid for the whole TV, so not an option given that it only has one purpose. But knowing this, does it give you any insight as to how easy it would be to find a way to enable the special buttons somehow?
8. Is it possible (and is it common) to map each button manually, one by one, so that you can be sure you have every button you want?