The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Sunday September 19, 2010 at 10:33
Herman Trivilino
Long Time Member
February 2007
I finally got around to upgrading my receiver. I replaced my 10-year old Sony STR-DE635 with a Denon AVR-591. What a difference! After auto-calibrating with the included microphone, it sounds like I've upgraded all my speakers!

Any doubts I had about the Sony BDP-S500 blu-ray player outputting dts-HD Master Audio have been put to rest. It will bitstream (and decode) dts-HD High Resolution audio, but all I get is dts (the core) from a BD with dts-HD Master Audio.

Even so, the audio is awesome. Watched "Harry Brown" last night, which has some very nice surround sound effects, and it blew me away. As I said, it was as if I'd upgraded all my speakers.

Now I'd like to replace the blu-ray player with one that will boot up faster. The S500 takes a long time to power up. Only then can I eject the tray to insert the disc. And then it takes a long time to load the disc, especially if it's a blu-ray disc.

Can anyone recommend a replacement? The S500 upscales DVD's nicely, but that's about the only thing I like about it. Having analog outputs is no longer a desire.

Last edited by Herman Trivilino on September 19, 2010 14:10.
Origin: Big Bang

Hosting Services by ipHouse